Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Coretta Scott King: Woman of Courage

Unfortunately, I missed a timely comment on the death of Coretta Scott King, the widow of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Cynthia Tucker, however, does a much better job remembering her than I could:

Still, she continued to stand for social justice, adopting an expansive vision that many other civil rights activists were unable or unwilling to share. She didn't just support Nelson Mandela; she also supported Corazon Aquino. She gave Bono, the Irish rock star, an award for his anti-poverty work in the developing world. And, when many older civil rights leaders were mired in their own homophobia, she spoke out against anti-gay bigotry.

Two years ago, at a commemorative dinner during the King holiday weekend, I approached Mrs. King as she sat taking pictures with admirers. I had long wanted to tell her that I was impressed by her courageous denunciations of homophobia. One of her aides -- having read my columns criticizing King family antics that had left me unimpressed -- couldn't resist the irony: He suggested I have my picture taken with her, too.

For more on Mrs. King's support of equality for ALL people, you can read this BaT post on the divided King family.


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com