Monday, July 17, 2006

Reason No. 3,268 To Love Cher

In an interview with Stars & Stripes, the legendary Cher discusses her support of the American warfighter and her work with a charitable organizations helping soldiers both at war and injured in it. (Hat tip: The Mudville Gazette)

A year and a half ago, something like that. I got involved in the Intrepid Fund (which will construct a training center for troops disabled during operations in Afghanistan and Iraq). I couldn't believe they were having a hard time getting money for that. So I kind of got involved in that. And then, one of my dearest friends is a man named Lou Dobbs, who has a TV show on CNN. He and I were talking about the war all the time. Even though we had different views on it, I love him. So it would be interesting for me to get his views as opposed to arguing.

After visiting Walter Reed, then Bethesda (home to the National Naval Medical Center) and Walter Reed again -- after meeting these guys and the women too -- I'm just so shocked that there are still people in the country like that because a lot of the kids that I come in contact with, they're still very -- it's not exactly that they're selfish; they just don't have any concept of what the kids in the military are doing and what it's about to actually go someplace where you could possibly lose your life. ...

I don't have to be for this war to support the troops because these men and women do what they think is right. They do what they're told to do. They do it with a really good heart. They do the best they can. They don’t ask for anything.

They just do what they're supposed to do. ...

I'm very disappointed in the amount of support that the soldiers are getting from the people back home. It's kind of like it's just a thing you hear on the news, and nobody does anything. Where is everybody? ...

I can't speak for everyone, but everyone seems to be against the war but not realizing that that's not good enough. You've got to do something besides just be against it. You've got to do some helping as well. People have got to get their (expletive) together.

For more about Cher's other charitable endeavour discussed in this article, visit the Operation Helmet homepage.


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com