Thursday, July 27, 2006

America's Worst Kept Secret

And the "No-Sh*t" Award goes to ... Lance Bass. The Mississippi native and former 'N Sync member, pulls an Ellen and declares, "Yep, I'm gay" in a People magazine cover story.

Having pursued acting, producing and -- most memorably -- space flight after 'N Sync went on hiatus in 2002, Bass now is looking ahead to new beginnings. He is in a "very stable" relationship with model-actor-Amazing Race winner Reichen Lehmkuhl, 32, and is developing an Odd Couple-inspired sitcom pilot with Fatone in which his character will be gay.

Mostly, though, he's just enjoying the relief that comes with the culmination of a long, at times emotionally fraught journey.

"The thing is, I'm not ashamed -- that's the one thing I want to say," he explains of his decision to come out. "I don't think it's wrong, I'm not devastated going through this. I'm more liberated and happy than I've been my whole life. I'm just happy."

As for why he's talking about this now, Bass says, "The main reason I wanted to speak my mind was that (the rumors) really were starting to affect my daily life. Now it feels like it's on my terms. I'm at peace with my family, my friends, myself and God so there's really nothing else that I worry about."

People trumpets the "scoop." But it was two weeks ago that the singer was spotted in a Provincetown, Mass., gay bar -- not exactly a place for someone worried about rumors.

"If privacy is what Lance wants, that's something that's easy to have," Naff said. "But if you're Lance Bass, and you're going to the gayest town on the gayest day of the year and going to gay parties, you have to expect something."

Alright, the boy's here, he's queer and he's proud of it. Now that the eight people on this planet who didn't already know, know, let's leave him be.

UPDATE: Jason's early warning system was right.

And a poster over at Duane's had his own early warning: "Ever since I saw him at Kathy Griffin's house on the first season of My Life on the D-List it was pretty clear."


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com