Monday, February 27, 2006

You Will Never Understand -- And We Don't Care

The great Chris Rose lays the smack down on the TV talking heads who portray New Orleans decision to hold Mardi Gras as uncaring:

I have decided to free myself of the yolk that burdens me. I am removing the boot heel from my neck.

From now on, I don't care what THEY think.

THEY think we're drunk, insouciant, lascivious and racist. So be it.

THEY show the images of revelers flashing for beads on Bourbon Street as some sort of distasteful microcosm of the libertine life of New Orleanians -- our callous dancing on the graves of the hurricane dead at Mardi Gras.

And the people in the Great Elsewhere watching these images in their living rooms are horrified at our behavior, but is anybody going to point out that 98 percent of the people flashing and taunting for beads on Bourbon Street are from THEIR hometowns?

That THEY are watching a mirror of THEMSELVES, not us?

Read the whole damn thing. Then scroll down for a lighter note on Mardi Gras.


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com