Sunday, November 13, 2005

Sunday Surprise

BaT is typically a post-free blog on the weekends. But, while I have the time (i.e., I'm bored), I wanted to answer a question from late last week and to point out that one of my favorite bloggers is filling in on one of my favorite blogs.

First, following this post about the return of Mardi Gras parades to New Orleans, Kinkyrhombus asks:

whats endymion? surely not the wacked out computer program that runs my law school's webmail stuff.

No, the Endymion referenced in the post is not this Endymion. Instead, it is this one:

With the largest floats ever assembled, and parade themes with which everyone identified, Endymion quickly became the people's parade. The krewe also changed the look of Carnival, making an instant impact with its magnificent court costumes and enormous headdresses. The concept of showcasing the krewe's royalty and court within a parade was novel. People actually came to see Endymion's "pre-parade" of mini-floats, just to catch a glimpse of the visual spectacle.

People also came to Endymion's parade to do more than look. As the most generous club in Carnival, krewe members lived up to their motto, "Throw until it hurts." Literally, millions of beads, cups, doubloons and trinkets were tossed-then as now, no one goes home from an Endymion parade empty-handed.

The Endymion parade occurs the Saturday night before Fat Tuesday, and is by far my favorite of Carnival. Krewe members do live up to their motto, and they throw tons. This is the best parade to take a Mardi Gras virgin to, because he/she is sure to be pelted with all sorts of trinkets. It is the party of the party for me, hence why I wrote in the post on Wednesday that "all is right in New Orleans again when Endymion's grand show returns." You can take your Fat Tuesday festivities; give me the Saturday night roll through Mid-City, and I'll be just fine.

Second, Ethan from Brat Boy School is guestblogging over at BoiFromTroy. He's even trying to talk football! Be sure to go over to BfT and show him some love.

Have a good week.


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com