Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Sheehan Jumps The Shark

For the life of me, Cindy Sheehan baffles me. Is it grief or simply stupidity? My original opinion was that she was a pawn of some horrible people willing to use her son's death and what may be her mental instability to support their agenda -- and fundraising. She lost her son and for some reason wanted -- in some way, I thought -- to work through her grief publicly.

But after her "occupied New Orleans" comment and the one saying she was raised -- for no good reason, she implied -- to fear Communism, well, I came to the conclusion that she is both crazy and stupid.

Her latest rant? Hillary Clinton is no better than the Republicans she so obviously despises, because after Sheehan's meeting with Mrs. Clinton the junior senator from New York did not change her opinion that our troops should remain in Iraq.

I thought Mrs. Clinton listened, but apparently she didn't because immediately afterwards she said the following to Sarah Ferguson of the Village Voice:

"My bottom line is that I don't want their sons to die in vain... I don't believe it's smart to set a date for withdrawal... I don't think it's the right time to withdraw."

That quote sounds exactly like what the few Republicans I talked to that week said. Making sure that our children did not die in "vain" sounds exactly like something George Bush says. A "date" for withdrawal? That sounds like Rush Limbaugh to me. That doesn't sound like an opposition party leader speaking to me. What Sen. Clinton said after our meeting sounds exactly like the Republican Party talking points I heard from Senators Dole and McCain.

Perhaps Mrs. Clinton did listen to you; she just chose to ignore you. But the best part of this diatribe is the opening paragraph:

I would love to support Hillary for President if she would come out against the travesty in Iraq. But I don't think she can speak out against the occupation, because she supports it.

Um, yeah, that would be a pretty good reason not to speak out against it. Please, your 15 minutes are so far over. And when you take to attacking a liberal icon like Hillary Clinton because the media tired of your anti-Republican rants, you've jumped the shark.

If the Democrats are serious about ever winning a national election again, it's time to cancel this sideshow.


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com