Tuesday, October 18, 2005

A Fascination With The Dearly Departed

I'm not a big fan of Halloween. We didn't celebrate it very much when I was a kid (Satanic!), and I've never been fond of dressing up in costumes -- Halloween, drag or otherwise.

But I do have this odd fascination with dead people. I've been on several ghost hunts -- more on those as Halloween approaches -- and I have an overdeveloped connection with what I believe to be the spirit world. Or an overactive imagination. Your call.

You'll note I link to "Who's Alive and Who's Dead" over on the blogroll there. It's as much a reference site as anything. Can't remember if a favorite old actor or musician is still kickin'? Then check it out. Find A Grave is also another interesting place. It will provide a brief bio of most famous people, as well as an actual photo of their gravestones. It was on Find A Grave that I learned Sonny Bono's final message to the world is: And the beat goes on. (Well, maybe for the rest of us, Sonny.)

While those two Web sites are interesting and informative, I recently stumbled upon one that is simply addictive. Let me warn you, this site appears to be run by a bitchy queen with a taste for Hollywood gossip. It also has some dead body photos that may not be safe for work, if you're surfing my site instead of doing your job.

But, damn, Find A Death is great. The L.A. Times calls it "deliciously sordid." The site absolutely hammers "Uncle Miltie," Milton Berle -- who I never thought was funny. It turns out, however, that he was a first-class a-hole.

Go have some fun and read it. But I'm warning you in advance, you'll lose hours.


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com