Monday, October 17, 2005

The Divine, Divine

Gay.com has a fairly ho-hum interview with '50s movie idol Tab Hunter. He was closeted (who wasn't?); he slept with Anothony Perkins (who didn't?); he worked with Tennessee Williams, Tallulah Bankhead and Divine (who ... wait a minute, did you say Divine? This Divine? Yes, that Divine!)

And he loved her.

I was crazy about him. As a man, he was just very quiet, but once you got him in his workclothes, sparks came out. He was just fantastic. When John Waters called me in Indianapolis, I was just finishing a play. ... He said, "My name is John Waters, and I don't know if you've heard of me." I said, "Of course I've heard of you! I loved 'Mondo Trasho.'" And he said, "I was wondering if you would be interested in doing a film with Divine. How do you feel about kissing a 300-pound transvestite?" My response was, "I've kissed a lot worse."

Divine would have turned 60 this Wednesday. Instead, we lost him at age 42. Has he really been dead almost 18 years? Wow.


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com