Monday, September 19, 2005

Ellen At The Emmys

I managed to watch parts of the Emmy Awards show last night. Nothing overly special to comment on, but I did like Ellen DeGeneres opening monologue. After alluding to her hosting of the Emmys shortly after the 9-11 terrorist attacks, she joked:

"I'm really, really honored because it's times like these that we really need to laugh," DeGeneres said. "And look for me next month when I host the North Korean People's Choice Awards."

(One nit here. Ellen is from Metairie, the oldest suburb of New Orleans. But, hell, close enough -- especially for those previously referred to media members who have never been off Bourbon Street.)

I can't comment much on the awards themselves, since I rarely watch any of the shows nominated. However, I do like Blythe Danner, even though I'm more familiar with her role as Will Truman's mother on "Will & Grace" than her work on "Huff," for which she won. I posted several months ago about "Warm Springs," the story of Franklin Roosevelt's polio battle. It won five Emmys, including Best TV Movie and one for Jane Alexander as FDR's mother, Sara Delano Roosevelt. I still prefer Kathy Bates in the movie. But they didn't ask me.

And the Donald Trump-Megan Mullally (as Karen Walker) rendition of the "Green Acres" theme song was pretty damn funny. You didn't even have to see the performance to know how funny is was.


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com