Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Another Gulf Monster

Y'know, as much as I love following the weather, I'd be fine with not writing about another hurricane for the rest of this year. Yet we still have several more weeks of prime hurricane season. And Rita seems intent on one hell of a closing act.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Rita is now a Cat 5 with sustained surface winds of 165 mph. Sustained, people. That's stronger than Katrina when she came ashore. And, as you can see, she's bigger than the entire state of Louisiana. But at least some people are learning from Katrina's painful -- and deadly -- lesson:

Helicopters, ambulances and buses were used to evacuate 200 patients from Galveston's only hospital. And at the Edgewater Retirement Community, a six-story building near the city's seawall, 200 elderly residents were not given a choice.

"They either go with a family member or they go with us, but this building is not safe sitting on the seawall with a major hurricane coming," said David Hastings, executive director. "I have had several say, 'I don't want to go,' and I said, 'I'm sorry, you're going.' "

Let's hope something stalls her some before she reaches land. Right now, it looks like the Texas coast is in for some hurt, although I haven't given up entirely on my original prediction of landfall at Lake Charles, La. This would mean dire consequences for Louisiana.


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com