Thursday, August 18, 2005

Go West, Young Man

Since BaT is working out west this week, we seem to have a theme. First, "Rocky Mountain High," then "New, New Mexico." Now, "Go West, Young Man." Kanye West, that is.

Kanye West says "gay" has become an antonym to hip-hop -- and that it needs to be stopped. During an interview for an MTV special, the 27-year-old rapper launched into a discussion about hip-hop and homosexuality while talking about "Hey Mama," a song on his upcoming album, "Late Registration."

West says that when he was young, people would call him a "mama's boy."

"And what happened was, it made me kind of homophobic, 'cause it's like I would go back and question myself," West says on the show, "All Eyes on Kanye West," set to air Thursday night (10:30 p.m. ET).

West says he changed his ways, though, when he learned one of his cousins was gay.

"It was kind of like a turning point when I was like, 'Yo, this is my cousin. I love him and I've been discriminating against gays.'"

Encouraging words. Let's hope the rest of his rap friends list. And let's hope some gay blogger doesn't try to claim Kanye is one of us and ruin the whole thing.


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com