Thursday, July 07, 2005

God Save the Queen

Like most of America, I awoke this morning to news of bombings in London. I immediately rushed to the office as one of the agencies who I work with is based in the city. By this time, it was after noon across the pond and all I could reach was voicemail. Finally, after an hour, I heard from my friend and colleague who reported he was safe as was the rest of his group. Although, he reported, with the transit system locked down, many people would have "a long walk home."

I flashed back to September 11 and the scenes of so many people flooded across the bridges out of Manhattan. A mass of humanity.

He reported, "It is a sad day for London." I replied, "It is a sad day for us all. "

He was touched by the comment, but I remember he was one of the first to call me on September 11, wishing this country his best and hoping I had word on another colleague based in Washington D.C.

I have no doubt that the British people will respond to day the way most Americans responded to our awful day. They are a hearty bunch, and the breeding stock for early America. We are similar, in spite of the differences. After reading this article, I'm convinced the terrorists have once again underestimated an entire group of people.

Computer technician Matt Carter, 25, said he was struck by how the attacks had united Londoners. "It's amazing how people have stuck together. I've seen total strangers hugging each other and people coming out into the street with free cups of tea," he said. "We can't let the terrorists defeat us. We've got to show them they will never win."

The British stared down Nazi Germany and withstood one of the massive, destructive attacks of our time during War World II. I seriously doubt a few camel herders stuck in the 14th century will slow them down very much.

God save the queen.


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com