Wednesday, June 22, 2005

We Wuz Robbed!

The American Film Institute finishes off its list of top 100 movie quotes ... and "Breakfast at Tiffany's" is nowhere to be found!

Oh, sure, "Gone with the Wind" gets three lines on the list, including the obvious No. 1: Rhett's kiss-off to Scarlett of "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Marlon Brando gets No. 2 and No. 3 for movies 20 years apart, "an offer he can't refuse" from "The Godfather" and "I coulda been a contender" from "On the Waterfront."

In fact, nine of the top 10 are hard to argue with ... "All About Eve" is OK. However, Bette Davis, she had better quotes in real life. ("I'd marry again if I found a man who had $15 million, would sign over half to me and guarantee that he'd be dead within a year.")

But the good people at AFI can't find one quote from "BaT"? "Jerry Maguire" got two! And "I feel the need ... the need for speed" from "Top Gun." Who made this list, Katie Holmes?!?

Coming from a female character in 1961, you can't beat a thirsty Holly telling Rusty to get my liquor -- quickly: "It should take you exactly four seconds to cross from here to that door. I'll give you two."

At least someone agrees with me. Perhaps I should follow the advice of No. 74 on the AFI list ... "Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown."


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com