Monday, June 13, 2005

The Dems' Last, Great Southern Hope?

If the Democrat Pary ever hopes to break the conservative stranglehold on the Deep South, it will take more than U.S. Rep. Harold Ford. But the 34-year-old scion of a Tennessee political family certainly is a good start. His reaction to DNC Chairman Howard Dean's comments that the Republican Party as "the white Christian party" gives many moderates hope. Ford told radio show host Don Imus:

"(Dean) has made some comments as of late that really speak to a lack of understanding I think, of the country, a lack of understanding of faith and values. I'm a Democrat and I'm a God fearing one. I grew up in church. Christianity is not reserved for white males.

"I think perhaps Governor Dean sometimes gets a little excited at the mouth, and says things that are simply not true. It may reach a point where if he can't find a way to kind of control some of his comments, and temper his comments, it may get to the point where the party may need to look elsewhere for leadership, because he does not speak for me, and I know he does not speak for a majority of Democrats and I dare say Republicans in my home state."

If the Democrats enjoy losing presidential elections, they need to find even more Deans. If they'd like to win one again sometime soon, they need to find more Harold Fords. Or maybe one is enough. Ford in '12?

(Hat tip: Just One Minute)


Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com